The nearest surfing beach is at Llangennith, with access from Hillend car park (£3 parking charge). PJ’s Surf Shop (next to the church in Llangennith) is the best place for advice and hire of boards, wet suits etc. They also sell tide timetables. www.pjsurfshop.co.uk Lessons are available from the Welsh Surfing Federation Surf School based at Hillend car park. Tel: 01792 386426 www.wsfsurfschool.co.uk
Gower is a great place to go walking, whether your preference is to walk on the hills, the beach or over the commons. You will need walking boots or sturdy shoes. There are ideas and directions for walks in the Guest Information folder at the house.
Llangennith beach is popular for fishing; seabass and mullet are often caught.
Gower Coast Adventures – book at www.gowercoastadventures.co.uk or 07866 250440.
Parc-Le-Breos Trekking Centre, Parkmill, Swansea. A friendly family run riding centre with rides for all abilities. More information at www.parc-le-breos.co.uk
Gower Heritage Centre
Crafts and rural life museum: farming museum, woollen mill, craft workshops. www.gowerheritagecentre.co.uk
North Gower Cycle Route. For more details including bike hire, contact Celtic Trail 0800 243 731
Kite Flying or Kite Riding
Swansea has all the attractions of a big city: museums, cinemas, shops etc.
- Swansea Leisure Complex www.thelcswansea.co.uk – indoor waterpark, gym, interactive play, climbing wall
- Parc Tawe SA1 2BA – for Plantasia, Cinema, Mega Bowl ten pin bowling
- Waterfront Museum SA1 3RD
- Dylan Thomas Centre, SA1 1RR
- The award-winning covered market- the largest indoor market in Wales www.swanseaindoormarket.co.uk
National Showcaves Centre for Wales SA9 1GJ
Includes, Dan-yr-Ogof and other caves, dinosaur park, museum, shire horse centre and farm About 1 hour by car from Llangennith. M4 J45, then follow A4067 www.showcaves.co.uk
Go Ape! At Margam Country Park SA13 2TJ
About 1 hour by car from Llangennith (on A48 follow signs from M4 J38) 850 acres of parkland. Wales’ first Go Ape course (www.goape.co.uk). Special events throughout the year.
For Little Ones
- Swansea Community Farm: At Fforestfach (near J47 of M4) – free entry! http://www.swanseacommunityfarm.org.uk/ or 01792 578384
- Simply Play: Indoor soft play in Gorseinon (not far from J47 of M4) for children up to 12 with baby and toddler areas. www.simply-play.net or 01792 224904. Great for kids if weather not kind.